Maura’s had a pretty bad cold all week, so although we had reservations for a nice Valentine’s Day dinner on Saturday night, we cancelled them and stayed in. Instead we made an incredibly tasty soup. It’s very quick and easy, but so full of flavor! A few of you asked for the recipe after I tweeted about it so here you go! By the way, this recipe is from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2009 cookbook – everything we’ve made from these books has been super tasty and good for you too!
Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red curry paste
(use more if you like spicy! I used 1/2 tsp. and it still wasn’t terribly spicy)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk; cook 2 minutes or until hot.
- Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in onions, basil, and juice.
Serve and enjoy!